Inland and Coast- February 16th, 17th and 18th

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2010
      On Tuesday February 16th I made an owl trip to Montgomery Woods and Orr Springs Road.

      At Montgomery Woods as it got dark a Northern Saw-whet Owl called for about 2 minutes. A little later 2 Great Horned Owls called from a distant location. Then at 6:20 PM a nearby BARRED OWL started calling and continued for a couple of minutes.
      I made several stops on Orr Springs Road and at one of the first stops heard another Saw-whet Owl. At around 7:40 PM at my last stop there was a calling LONG-EARED OWL. This bird was still giving its low soft hoot call 5 minutes later as I left.

      On Wednesday February 17th I saw a 1st cycle GLAUCOUS GULL on the beach at the Garcia River outlet.
      There were 2 PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVERS (continuing birds) not far from the entrance gate on the Pt Arena Lighthouse property.

      On Thursday February 18th the YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER was at Rose Memorial Park in Ft. Bragg. Jerry White