Highway 162, Round Valley, eastern Mtns

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2010
      Tuesday February 9th; while walking the train tracks under the Dos Rios bridge I saw 2 WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS. On Dobie Lane in Round Valley there was a PRAIRIE FALCON. There was a total of 7 LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS on the day; 6 of those were along Dobie Lane.

      Wednesday February 10th; I drove to the snow line on Mendocino Pass Road at dawn and birded back down. There was 1 Cassin's Finch, 2 Townsend's Solitaires and 2 calling Northern Pygmy-Owls.
      About a mile west of the Eel River Station on Hwy 162 there were 3 Rufous-crowned Sparrows.
      For the 2 days there were 4 Golden Eagles and on the 10th a Bald Eagle at the east end of Round Valley.

      In the afternoon I drove up road M1 that goes northwest at the intersection at Eel River Station. This is a paved road and I was able to drive about 7 miles before the snow line. On the way up I saw 2 Mt. Quail.
      At the snow line there were 2 more Townsend's Solitaires, a Red-breasted Sapsucker (doing a "mew" call),
      and a single Mt. Chickadee. Jerry White