Potter Valley to Montgomery Woods

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2010
      On Wednesday February 3rd; there were 2 GOLDEN EAGLES at the end of Burris Lane. On Marina Drive at the north end of Lake Mendocino at midday there was a bat flying and hunting which I watched for at least 2 minutes. My guess is it was a California Myotis? But I understand even bat experts have a difficult time identifying these mammals in flight.
      At the treatment ponds in Ukiah there was a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW.
      At Montgomery Woods there were at least 2 NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWLS and 2 GREAT HORNED OWLS. A Northern Saw-whet Owl started calling at sunset and there was still one calling when I walked out of the Groves at 7:15 PM. Jerry White