Bat Ma'am coming to Ukiah...with live bats

  • katemarianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2010
      BAT MA'AM COMING TO UKIAH...WITH LIVE BATS
      (to see photo please sign up on my email list by sending me an email with "list" in the subject line"

      Thursday, Feb. 18, 7 p.m., Ukiah Civic Center

      "Bat Ma'am" will be coming to Ukiah soon to redeem the reputation of the furry little mammals known as bats. In her presentation "Wings in the Night: A Celebration of Bats," Sonoma County resident Patricia Winters, aka "Bat Ma'am," explains that bats, far from being "winged rodents," are actually closely related to primates on the evolutionary tree of life. Only three out of about 1100 species of bats in the world are vampire bats, and those three species lap, rather than suck, the blood of mammals. Bats are vital members of the ecosystem, dispersing seeds, pollinating flowers, and consuming nocturnal insects. Winters describes the alarming worldwide decline in bats as "serious planetary damage." She will bring live bats to the presentation. Audience members will be able to closely observe but not touch the bats. The presentation will take place on Thursday, February 18, at 7 p.m. at the Ukiah Civic Center, 300 Seminary Avenue.

      Rather than believe the negative stereotypes and misconceptions about these relatives of ours, Patricia Winters chose to live with them, learn about them, and take them under her wing. She acquired her first bat fifty years ago, learned through trial and error how to nurture orphaned and injured bats, and today operates a bat rehabilitation facility in Sonoma County. She is one of the few individuals in California licensed to possess live bats for educational purposes and is a full-time educator and wildlife rehabilitator with the California Bat Conservation Fund.

      This Peregrine Audubon Society presentation will be free to the public, though donations will be accepted. To join Peregrine Audubon Society and receive a newsletter with regular announcements about programs and field trips, please send $15 to PAS, P.O. Box 311, Ukiah, CA 95482. For more information please go to www.peregrineaudubon.org.