Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

  • Arthur Morley
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3 2:16 PM
      I saw the Y-B Sapsucker today at about 11 am and watched it for about 2 minutes until it flew; a county bird for me. It was in the large pine about 60' due south of the "Non Endowment Care" sign. The bottle -brush trees mentioned are called Banksia according to the cemetery groundskeeper, and they are popular with hummingbirds and other passerines. Yesterday,
      I saw a Yellow-breasted Sapsucker in one of the Banksias to the west of the mentioned sign.

      Art

    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
        Thu Mar 4, 2010---I was able to hang around the Rose Memorial Cemetary (Fort Bragg) this morning for about an hour. Easily found the YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER in the Banksia(sp.) Trees as previously reported. Also found a male RUFUS HUMMINGBIRD and an EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE gathering nesting material. The Eurasian Collared Dove is listed as not observed nesting in Mendocino. It's almost certain that they do. Let's find a nesting pair and fill in that box in the checklist. Bob let us know if that's been done.

        Richard Hubacek
        Little River
      • jackwbooth
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2010
          They nest in the fan palm on Cromwell Drive (off Eastside Calpella Road) just north of Ukiah. It is really obvious they nest all over Ukiah and Redwood Valley. Jack Booth