Tufted Puffin

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2002
      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 -- Dorothy Tobkin saw an adult TUFTED PUFFIN in breeding
      plumage on the water north of the Mendocino headlands.

      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 -- The hummingbird feeders in my yard are being overrun
      with Selasphorus hummingbirds - maybe as many as ten - including one likely
      Allen's Humingbird male.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Matthew Matthiessen
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
        This morning (Sun 9/1) at 1100 there was an alternate plumaged adult
        TUFTED PUFFEN feeding off the Mendocino Headlands. The bird was in the
        water just north of the parking lot for Goat Rock (in line with the
        Cabrillo Lighthouse). The bird dove frequently during the 30 minutes I
        watched it but on a couple of occasions stayed on the surface for
        several minutes.

        Only other bird of note this morning were three SNOWY PLOVERS at Virgin
        Creek Beach. They must have arrived recently as there were none there
        last weekend.

        - Matthew Matthiessen
      • Jessica Morton
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2003
          Sunday morning about noon, a bit to the northeast of Goat Rock, I had
          good views of a Tufted Puffin in summer plumage bobbing in the ocean.
          --
        • chaniot@pacific.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2007
            Sat, 09 Jun 2007 -- Dorothy Tobkin reports finding a TUFTED PUFFIN at the
            Mendocino Headlands this morning. First it was in the water north of the
            northmost island. Then it began flying and flew to a burrow on the north
            face of the northmost island. This is a new burrow location in this area.

            George Chaniot posting message for Toby
          • richhubie
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 15, 2007
              Today at 12:46 PM I found the Tufted Puffin that Toby reported back on
              the 9th of June. It was almost exactly where she said she saw it. Just
              east of the northern most island off the Mendocino Headlands.

              Richard Hubacek