Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Fort Bragg 1/31

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2010
      Sun, 31 Jan 2010 -- Jerry White phoned to tell me that he had found an adult
      male YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER at Rose Memorial Park, Spruce & N Franklin
      in Fort Bragg.
      When I arrived, Jerry noted that the bird was very flighty and not attached to a
      particular tree.  We refound it on the north-central part of the cemetery in one
      of several exotic trees with strange looking flowers that look like teasles.  It
      flew for a while to the tall eucalypus grove above Pudding Creek.  We could not
      see it in those trees, but it finally flew back to the exotic trees.  Richard Hubacek
      arrived and got some photos of it.
      The bird is very clean in its markings and much lighter overall than a Red-naped or
      Red-breasted.  This bird called a few times with a medium-loud, whiny mew.
      Thanks, Jerry!  MEN County birds for both Richard and me!

      For Jerry White

      (Karen Havlena)
      Fort Bragg, CA