Cackling Geese

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2010
      Sat Jan 30, 2020-- While birding at the botanical garden today, two groups of CACKLING GEESE flew by heading south. The first group had over 400 geese in it (I counted them in the picture I took). The second group had approx. 120. This happened just after 12 noon. From the pictures, many of the geese had ALEUTIAN type white neck-rings.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2011
        25 March 2011 - Last Friday I and Ryan Keiffer took a close look at the
        Crofoot Ranch which is the white-fenced property on the east side of Highway
        101 about 4 miles north of Hopland. There is a one-laned access road (east
        side of HWY 101 where you will see the obvious "Crow-Foot" sign) that you
        can turn down to view the pasture on the left side. Along with the
        numerous Canada Geese (moffitti) there are still two CACKLING GEESE of the
        Aleutian variety and one of the "minima" variety. Amongst the mallards and
        about 25 AMERICAN WIGEON was a nice drake CINNAMON TEAL. Two ROUGH-WINGED
        SWALLOWS were my first for the year. Good birding. Bob Keiffer (new home
        email rjkeiffer@... ).