Spring Arrival Dates

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2001
      With a major infusion of data from Chuck Vaughn, I have put together a
      list of the early arrival dates for some migrant and summer resident birds.
      These are the earliest spring dates recorded over a period of some years.
      In most years, of course, they usually arrive somewhat after this date.
      The geographical area covered is the interior valleys and ranges of
      Mendocino County from about Willits south to Hopland and the Sonoma county
      line, including Potter Valley. Roughly, the SE quarter of the county. We
      are in need of better information on some sparse migrant species
      (MacGillivray's Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Olive-sided Flycatcher, et al.)
      and for the primarily montane species (Flammulated Owl, Green-tailed
      Towhee, Hammond's and Dusky Flycatcher, et al.). The higher areas of the
      county are little explored in this season.
      I have also put this data on the web at
      http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/intMENarrivals.html
      with some similar data from a subarea, Potter Valley, at
      http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/springarrivals.html
      Thirdly, I have created a database at the Mendobirds homepage where we can
      accumulate information on arrivals as the spring season unfolds. Go to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds
      and choose "database" from the lefthand column. Any subscriber can enter
      new data, edit entries, correct my spelling, or write over information
      already there. (Someone may want to edit my Rufous Hummingbird entry. ). I
      have included columns for the coast separate from the interior, as I know
      there are some differences in timing of migration. Does anyone have similar
      historical data from the coast that they would like to contribute?
      Well, eight have returned, only thirty-two to go.
      George Chaniot

      04 Feb Tree Swallow
      13 Feb Violet-green Swallow
      14 Feb Orange-crowned Warbler