Icelantic Photos Found

  • gashawk@mcn.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2010
      Howdy

      Couldn't get the photo's to travel through this group as even an
      attachment, so I posted an album on Mendobirds Photos as...

      1st cycle Kumleins Iceland Gull 11/12/10

      Sorry did intend to SPAM you all with my attachment attempts

      Gunn
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2010
        Gunn, thanks for posting the photos. Unfortunately it's just a pale 1st-cycle Glaucous-winged Gull, which is much more common, is larger and has a heavier bill. Many (if not all) of us have made the same mistake--repeatedly! A 1st-cycle Iceland Gull is smaller with a more rounded, dove-like head, a dainty bill, and usually has spotting on the tertials and tail feathers. Because of its variability and apparent hybridization with Thayer's Gull, it is very difficult to be certain of the identity of most gulls resembling Iceland Gull. But don't stop looking: it is quite possible to find one there, and if you find a good candidate, try to get photos of its head and bill compared with other species of gulls, plus photos of the outstretched wings and tail.

        For those of you who are interested in learning more about Iceland Gull in California, I have a website dedicated to Iceland Gulls in California which you might find useful. Unfortunately it needs some updating (some links are broken; more recent records not included; some subsequently accepted and rejected by CBRC) which I don't have the time to do at the moment. The website is here:

        http://web2.puc.edu/Faculty/Floyd_Hayes/californiakumlieni/

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, CA

      • Gunn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2010
          Gunn, he is incorrect on his call. The gull was NOT the size of a huge GWGU. It was a tad bit smaller than a Herring Gull...about Thayer's Gull sized. I have sent the photos to many so-called gull experts and everyone agrees it is a first cycle Kumlien's Iceland Gull. Good Birding, Steve