Re: [Mendobirds] Eurasian Wigeon in Potter Valley

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
      Tue, 12 Jan 2010 -- Both the EURASIAN WIGEON and the LEWIS'S WOODPECKER
      continue today at the same locations in Potter Valley described by Jerry
      yesterday. At the intersection of Burris Lane and East(side) Road look for
      a utility pole on the west side of the intersection. The Lewis's
      Woodpecker favors the top of this pole and the large trees to the NE of the
      intersection.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 13, 2011
        Tue, 13 Dec 2011 -- At 1 P.M. today there was a male EURASIAN WIGEON on the
        Christmas Star Vineyard pond in Potter Valley. There has been an increase in
        American Wigeon here in the last week. One very rufous female turned out to
        be an American Wigeon with pure white underwing linings.
        This pond is on West(side) Road about 1/4 mi. N. of the cemetery.
        There is no good place to park nearby; beware of soft shoulders. It's best
        to park at the cemetery and walk the 400 y to the pond. There is a
        step-through in the fence, and if you approach slowly, the waterfowl will
        move away and not fly. Of all the ponds in Potter Valley that can be viewed
        from roads, this pond seems to be the most attractive to waterfowl.
        There was also a female COMMON GOLDENEYE on the McMenomey Vineyard pond
        - best viewed by walking through the cemetery to the south end.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        Mallard 2
        American Wigeon 54
        Eurasian Wigeon 1
        Ring-necked Duck 2
        Bufflehead 12
        Pied-billed Grebe 1
        American Coot 101
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 14, 2011
          Wed, 14 Dec 2011 -- At about 09:15 this morning Chuck Vaughn and I saw the
          EURASIAN WIGEON again in Potter Valley. It was still very foggy at that
          hour making it hard to see the opposite shore of the pond. The fog was not
          gone until about 10:30. At about noon I drove by again and could spot the
          red-headed wigeon on the drive-by.
          In the afternoon I saw a FERRUGINOUS HAWK flying north over Burris
          Lane.

          George Chaniot
          PotterValley, MEN, CA
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 29, 2011
            Wed, 28 Dec 2011 -- The male EURASIAN WIGEON continues at the same pond in
            Potter Valley as described in previous posts. The number of American Wigeon
            keeps creeping up - today 124.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA
          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2012
              Wed, 04 Jan 2012 -- Chuck Vaughn and I saw the continuing EURASIAN WIGEON at
              the pond north of the cemetery in Potter Valley today. In the pasture south
              of the pond we pished up a HOUSE WREN while expecting Lincoln's Sparrows to
              pop up. This is one of the few winter records of this species. There was
              also a bright RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER in the trees near the road. Back at my
              house we saw one of the four continuing WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS at my
              feeders.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA
            • gchaniot
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2013
                Wed, 30 Oct 2013 -- At about 11:45 today there was a male EURASIAN WIGEON
                among the 30 American Wigeons on the Christmas Star vineyard pond about
                1/4 mile north of the cemetery on West(side) Road in Potter Valley.
                Another male may be a hybrid.
                There is no convenient parking near the pond. I recommend parking at
                the cemetery and walking the quarter mile to the pond.

                George Chaniot
                Potter Valley, MEN, CA
              • George Chaniot
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13, 2015
                  Tue, 13 Jan 2015 -- Today Steve Stump found a EURASIAN WIGEON at the Red
                  Post Vineyard pond at milemarker 1.33 on Westside Road, Potter Valley. It
                  was still there at sunset, seen by Adrian Macedo, Janet Chaniot, and myself.
                  This is directly across Westside Road from my house. Yardbird #172.
                  Steve also reported 10 TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS on Pine Avenue at the same
                  location where we saw 4 on Friday -- a cattle feeding area about 3/4 mile
                  from Eastside Road.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                • George Chaniot
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 15, 2015
                    Thu, 15 Jan 2015 -- The male EURASIAN WIGEON continues for the third day at
                    the same location below.

                    George Chaniot
                    Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                    > From: "George Chaniot chaniot@... [Mendobirds]"
                    > <Mendobirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:56:57 -0800
                    > To: Mendobirds <mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: [Mendobirds] Eurasian Wigeon in Potter Valley
                    >
                    > Tue, 13 Jan 2015 -- Today Steve Stump found a EURASIAN WIGEON at the Red
                    > Post Vineyard pond at milemarker 1.33 on Westside Road, Potter Valley. It
                    > was still there at sunset, seen by Adrian Macedo, Janet Chaniot, and myself.
                    > This is directly across Westside Road from my house. Yardbird #172.
                    > Steve also reported 10 TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS on Pine Avenue at the same
                    > location where we saw 4 on Friday -- a cattle feeding area about 3/4 mile
                    > from Eastside Road.
                    >
                    > George Chaniot
                    > Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                    > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership
                    > and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these
                    > addresses:

                    > Yahoo Groups Links

                  • George Chaniot
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 26, 2015
                      Thu, 26 Mar 2015 -- A male EURASIAN WIGEON has been seen reliably in Potter
                      Valley for about 10 days. It is on the Red Post Vineyard Pond at milemarker
                      1.33 on West(side) Road. I don't think that this is the same male that was
                      present from January to mid-February.

                      George Chaniot
                      Potter Valley, MEN, CA