Eurasian Wigeon in Potter Valley

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
      There was a EURASIAN WIGEON at the pond that is just north of the cemetary on West Road yesterday.
      There is no convenient place to park to view this pond. George Chaniot suggests parking at the cemetary and then walking to the pond.
      Also the LEWIS'S WOODPECKER was seen again near the intersection of East Road and Burris Lane. George also saw both of these birds about an hour or so after the initial sightings.
      At least one Dipper was on the river at the bridge.

      Scoping the north end of Lake Mendocino I found a Mew Gull, 4 Hooded Mergansers, and another male EURASIAN WIGEON.

      Later in the afternoon the LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES were found at the Hopland Field Station, thanks to Bob Keiffer. Jerry White

    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 12, 2010
        Tue, 12 Jan 2010 -- Both the EURASIAN WIGEON and the LEWIS'S WOODPECKER
        continue today at the same locations in Potter Valley described by Jerry
        yesterday. At the intersection of Burris Lane and East(side) Road look for
        a utility pole on the west side of the intersection. The Lewis's
        Woodpecker favors the top of this pole and the large trees to the NE of the
        intersection.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 13, 2011
          Tue, 13 Dec 2011 -- At 1 P.M. today there was a male EURASIAN WIGEON on the
          Christmas Star Vineyard pond in Potter Valley. There has been an increase in
          American Wigeon here in the last week. One very rufous female turned out to
          be an American Wigeon with pure white underwing linings.
          This pond is on West(side) Road about 1/4 mi. N. of the cemetery.
          There is no good place to park nearby; beware of soft shoulders. It's best
          to park at the cemetery and walk the 400 y to the pond. There is a
          step-through in the fence, and if you approach slowly, the waterfowl will
          move away and not fly. Of all the ponds in Potter Valley that can be viewed
          from roads, this pond seems to be the most attractive to waterfowl.
          There was also a female COMMON GOLDENEYE on the McMenomey Vineyard pond
          - best viewed by walking through the cemetery to the south end.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA

          Mallard 2
          American Wigeon 54
          Eurasian Wigeon 1
          Ring-necked Duck 2
          Bufflehead 12
          Pied-billed Grebe 1
          American Coot 101
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 14, 2011
            Wed, 14 Dec 2011 -- At about 09:15 this morning Chuck Vaughn and I saw the
            EURASIAN WIGEON again in Potter Valley. It was still very foggy at that
            hour making it hard to see the opposite shore of the pond. The fog was not
            gone until about 10:30. At about noon I drove by again and could spot the
            red-headed wigeon on the drive-by.
            In the afternoon I saw a FERRUGINOUS HAWK flying north over Burris
            Lane.

            George Chaniot
            PotterValley, MEN, CA
          • George Chaniot
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 29, 2011
              Wed, 28 Dec 2011 -- The male EURASIAN WIGEON continues at the same pond in
              Potter Valley as described in previous posts. The number of American Wigeon
              keeps creeping up - today 124.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA
            • George Chaniot
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2012
                Wed, 04 Jan 2012 -- Chuck Vaughn and I saw the continuing EURASIAN WIGEON at
                the pond north of the cemetery in Potter Valley today. In the pasture south
                of the pond we pished up a HOUSE WREN while expecting Lincoln's Sparrows to
                pop up. This is one of the few winter records of this species. There was
                also a bright RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER in the trees near the road. Back at my
                house we saw one of the four continuing WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS at my
                feeders.

                George Chaniot
                Potter Valley, MEN, CA
              • gchaniot
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 30, 2013
                  Wed, 30 Oct 2013 -- At about 11:45 today there was a male EURASIAN WIGEON
                  among the 30 American Wigeons on the Christmas Star vineyard pond about
                  1/4 mile north of the cemetery on West(side) Road in Potter Valley.
                  Another male may be a hybrid.
                  There is no convenient parking near the pond. I recommend parking at
                  the cemetery and walking the quarter mile to the pond.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                • George Chaniot
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 13
                    Tue, 13 Jan 2015 -- Today Steve Stump found a EURASIAN WIGEON at the Red
                    Post Vineyard pond at milemarker 1.33 on Westside Road, Potter Valley. It
                    was still there at sunset, seen by Adrian Macedo, Janet Chaniot, and myself.
                    This is directly across Westside Road from my house. Yardbird #172.
                    Steve also reported 10 TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS on Pine Avenue at the same
                    location where we saw 4 on Friday -- a cattle feeding area about 3/4 mile
                    from Eastside Road.

                    George Chaniot
                    Potter Valley, MEN, CA
                  • George Chaniot
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 15
                      Thu, 15 Jan 2015 -- The male EURASIAN WIGEON continues for the third day at
                      the same location below.

                      George Chaniot
                      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                      > From: "George Chaniot chaniot@... [Mendobirds]"
                      > <Mendobirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:56:57 -0800
                      > To: Mendobirds <mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: [Mendobirds] Eurasian Wigeon in Potter Valley
                      >
                      > Tue, 13 Jan 2015 -- Today Steve Stump found a EURASIAN WIGEON at the Red
                      > Post Vineyard pond at milemarker 1.33 on Westside Road, Potter Valley. It
                      > was still there at sunset, seen by Adrian Macedo, Janet Chaniot, and myself.
                      > This is directly across Westside Road from my house. Yardbird #172.
                      > Steve also reported 10 TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS on Pine Avenue at the same
                      > location where we saw 4 on Friday -- a cattle feeding area about 3/4 mile
                      > from Eastside Road.
                      >
                      > George Chaniot
                      > Potter Valley, MEN, CA

                      > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership
                      > and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these
                      > addresses:

                      > Yahoo Groups Links

                    • George Chaniot
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 26
                        Thu, 26 Mar 2015 -- A male EURASIAN WIGEON has been seen reliably in Potter
                        Valley for about 10 days. It is on the Red Post Vineyard Pond at milemarker
                        1.33 on West(side) Road. I don't think that this is the same male that was
                        present from January to mid-February.

                        George Chaniot
                        Potter Valley, MEN, CA