LAK Williamson's Sapsucker

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2009
      22 December 2009 - This morning Chuck Vaughn & I arrived at the Williamson's
      Sapsucker spot on Perini Road in Lake County as described in earlier
      messages. It was about 10:05 am, and we first walked north along Perini
      Road past the "three Gray Pines" and the "forked Black Oak Tree". Chuck
      thought he had heard tapping but could not tell due to the wind in the pines
      and the honking geese on Snow's Lake. We did find 2 Pygmy Nuthatches, 2
      Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and an Oak Titmouse, along with robins flying
      overhead. I then ventured south past the junction when Chuck found the
      male Williamson's back to the north of the junction/parking area. It was
      working on a set of sap holes in a young Gray Pine, about 25 feet off the
      ground, which put the bird about 15 feet above our eye level from the road.
      So, this young pine, maybe 10" diameter, is about half the distance from
      the original "three Gray Pines which are 90 feet south of the large forked
      black oak with adjacent no trespassing sign" and the road junction. There
      are lots of sapping holes present and the bird was working on new ones. He
      has a habit of skirting around to the back side (east side) of the tree
      trunk until he feels comfortable again. With the morning light he could be
      viewed with good light from the road that leads to Snow's Lake, thus looking
      back west towards Perini Road. We viewed and photographed the bird from
      about 10:15 to 10:45 and the bird was still there when we left.

      We did NOT find the female. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer