Solano/Lake

  • John Luther
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2009
      Hey Birders,

      This morning I followed the tire marks of Ruby and Meek Jim Lomax (did any
      of you swallow that Meek part?) into Solano Co and looked south out into the
      water from the Maritime Academy just west of the north anchorage of the
      Carquinez Bridge. There was a nice Red-throated Loon out on the water as
      Jim reported.

      I then made my way up highway 29 into Lake County. I went about a mile
      northwest of Lower Lake on highway 29 to Seigler Canyon Rd. A short
      distance up Seigler Canyon Rd I encountered Perini Rd. After about 3 miles
      on Perini I saw Snows Lake on my left and an unnamed road going off to my
      left just after the lake as reported by others. I looked in the Gray Pines
      described by others without seeing or hearing a sapsucker, but when back at
      the junction of Perini and the unnamed road I heard tapping (bill not toe)
      and quickly found the male Williamson's Sapsucker in a Gray Pine along
      Perini just south of the junction. This was at 10:05 AM. Feeling good
      about this beautiful male I decided to go to Wal Mart (not to shop of
      course) to look for gulls. The Wal Mart is along highway 53 in Clearlake.
      I climbed the hill at the back side of the parking lot and looked at the
      roof of Wal Mart. 500 plus gulls greeted my eyes and I soon saw a big
      beautiful white one that was a first year Glaucous Gull. I assume that this
      is the same bird reported by Floyd Hayes on Dec 11. This was at about
      10:30. About 15 minutes later it took off towards the landfill. Others
      gulls were continuously going towards and coming from the landfill to the
      roof. It was a pleasant drive home.

      John Luther
      Oakland