Lake Co. - Williamson's Sapsucker

  • Kathryn Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2009
      This morning at about 9 am, there was a beautiful male WILLIAMSON'S
      SAPSUCKER along Perini Rd. near Snow Lake south of Lower Lake. I found
      the group of three gray pines as reported yesterday by Darlene
      Hecomovich on Mendobirds. I heard soft tapping, but not in those
      trees. I walked on the road below Perini Rd. so the sun was behind me
      and looked up the slope. The male Williamson's was drilling a row of
      new holes in a gray pine about half-way between the group of three
      pines and the intersection of the unnamed road and Perini Rd.
      I continued south on Perini and came on an area of toyon that was
      crowded with American Robins and HERMIT THRUSHES. A COOPER'S HAWK
      bombed through, but wasn't really serious. Found 2 PYGMY NUTHATCHES on
      Adams Springs Rd. Finally drove up into the Boggs Mountain Area hoping
      for a Hairy Woodpecker. It was very quiet, so I had to settle for a
      male PILEATED WOODPECKER.

      Kathy Parker
      Los Gatos