[Mendobirds] Williamson's Sapsucker - Lake County

  • dhecomovich
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2009
      Today Jeannette Knight and I were doing a dry run for our CBC route on Saturday and discovered a female Williamson's Sapsucker around 12:30 pm at some holes in a Gray Pine on Perini Road (accessed from Seigler Canyon Road) above Snows Lake.Snows Lake is approximately 4 to 5 miles from the juncture of Seigler Canyon Road and Perini Road. I believe this is only the second or third record for Lake County.

      In case anyone is interested in pursuing the Sapsucker,the bird was in the southernmost tree of a set of three Gray Pines n the east side of the road and 90 feet south of a No Trespassing Sign (that doesn't apply to using the road but is a warning not to trespass off the road)and 300 feet north of an unnamed road that takes off from Perini Road and goes between Perini Road and Snows Lake.There is a large forked Black Oak near the No Trespassing sign and a large Ponderosa Pine just south of the set of three Gray Pines. Complicated, no? We're hoping it will still be there on Saturday for the Clear Lake CBC.

      Darlene Hecomovich