Rhinoceros Auklet

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2002
      Wed., 17 Jul 2002, 11:00 am -- Brian O'Connor reports seeing Rhinoceros
      Auklet from the end of Ward Avenue in Cleone at low tide.
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2005
        Fri, 10 Jun 2005 -- At the Mendocino headlands today Chuck Vaughn and I
        found an alcid on the water near the murre/cormorant colony which we
        believe is a juvenile RHINOCEROS AUKLET. It was smaller than adult Pigeon
        Guillemots nearby but coloration, bill size, and bill shape indicated a
        rhino. According to the literature, juvenile rhinos leave their burrows and
        move to the water when they can barely fly and are only 40-85% of their
        adult body weight. The presence of an undersized juvenile rhino on the
        water this early in the season suggests local nesting, perhaps on the
        islands of the Mendocino headlands themselves.
        Further south we also visited the house on Duxbury Road near
        Manchester and saw a flock of 11 EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES fly up from behind
        the house. This number should raise this newcomer species from the "x"
        rating (extremely rare) to the "r" rating (rare) on the Mendocino county
        list.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA