Violet-green swallow in December!

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2009
      I went out to Lake Mendocino to look for the tufted duck to no avail today. After I walked out to the mudflat I returned to the parking lot and was about to leave when a bird flew past me. I could not believe it at first, even though it is my totem bird. It was a VG Swallow. I watched it from 4:38 pm until 5:01 pm. It was trying to find a place to roost under the eaves of the restroom and occasionally flying up into the louvers. It appeared to be healthy the way it was flying. I was not smoking or drinking anything either. Other birds I saw included:

      Starlings 9
      House Finch 4
      Mallards 65
      Coots 33