Clear Lake birds

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2009
      Doug Weidemann and I birded around Clear Lake today. Our best bird was a 1st-cycle GLAUCOUS GULL at WalMart (my 11th gull species on the roof!) and also at the landfill in Clearlake. It's a pure white bird, very easy to spot among the 1000 or so gulls. We also saw a 2nd-cycle "white-winged" gull with pale eyes and brown-tinged wingtips, intermediate in size between a California Gull and Herring Gull, that looks like a chunky Iceland Gull or a petite hybrid of Glaucous X Herring or Glaucous-winged X Herring or Glaucous X Glaucous-winged--we gave up on it!

      At Lucerne Harbor we found a "different" Empidonax flyatcher and Jerry White joined us to help identify it. We concluded it was a HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER. It was in the clump of willows just south of the docks.

      At Lakeside County Park in Kelseyville we tallied 19 CACKLING GEESE.

      On 5 December, Nick Shepherd saw four BARROW'S GOLDENEYES at Pirate's Cove in Clearlake Park, but I was unable to find them the following day or today. But I did see a pair of PHAINOPEPLAS there on 6 December.

      Also on 6 December I got some cool photos of an adult RING-BILLED GULL with brown eyes and another adult RING-BILLED GULL with a gray right leg and greenish-yellow left leg, both at Redbud Park. We saw the latter again today. One of these days I'll post some photos...

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA