Re: [Mendobirds] 12/10 Lake Mendocino Tufted Duck

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2009
      Thu, 10 Dec 2009 -- This afternoon Karen Havlena, Steve Grams, and I refound
      the male TUFTED DUCK near the north boat ramp at Lake Mendocino, It was
      best seen by walking out onto the exposed mud to where the inlet stream
      flows into the lake. It was associating with Greater Scaup, Buffleheads,
      and American Coots - mostly in the stream. We got some excellent looks
      through the scope with good light at close range. Good photo opportunity.
      There were also four dowitchers, some Least Sandpipers, a Wilson's Snipe,
      and a possible female Blue-winged Teal.
      I went down to the dipper location at milepost 37.08 on Route 20, and
      there was fresh dipper sign on the rocks, but I saw no dipper.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA