12/10 Lake Mendocino Tufted Duck

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2009
      Greetings Mendobirders- At 10 this morning I saw a male TUFTED DUCK in
      basic plumage at the north end of Lake Mendocino. The bird was feeding
      with Greater Scaup, Mallards, and Green-winged Teal in the calmer areas
      along the edges of the inlet. It was easily visible within 50-75 yards to
      the SSE of the cement boat launch. It was not on the lake during the 15
      minutes I watched it.

      Chuck

      *********************************
      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2009
        Thu, 10 Dec 2009 -- This afternoon Karen Havlena, Steve Grams, and I refound
        the male TUFTED DUCK near the north boat ramp at Lake Mendocino, It was
        best seen by walking out onto the exposed mud to where the inlet stream
        flows into the lake. It was associating with Greater Scaup, Buffleheads,
        and American Coots - mostly in the stream. We got some excellent looks
        through the scope with good light at close range. Good photo opportunity.
        There were also four dowitchers, some Least Sandpipers, a Wilson's Snipe,
        and a possible female Blue-winged Teal.
        I went down to the dipper location at milepost 37.08 on Route 20, and
        there was fresh dipper sign on the rocks, but I saw no dipper.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA