Pacific Loons

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2009
      Fri Dec 4, 2009---Went out to Navarro Point early this afternoon to look for raptors. When I got out to the point I noticed a continuous stream of PACIFIC LOONS passing south some distance out over the ocean. This was my first experience with the Pacific Loon migration. I estimated 650 (very conservative) passing in the short time I was there. It was very impressive!

      My question is--is this late in the season for this to happen? A posting today on the NWCALBIRD site notes that 1000 PACIFIC LOONS in 27 minutes were observed. Most of the research I've read (and in talking to Toby) seems to support that this is a late migration. I'm prepared to hear comments that I'm wrong.

      Had at least 3 RED-TAILED HAWKS, 2 AMERICAN KESTRELS and 2 WHITE-TAILED KITES (one being a juvenile) in my raptor search.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6 6:24 PM
        Friday, April 6, 2012 - Stopped for lunch at Little River today and
        noticed flocks of Pacific Loons on their northbound migration.
        Thousands of them streaming by, mostly in flocks of 20 to 40
        individuals, all within the same narrow path about a mile offshore.
        From the air it must look like a dotted black line!

        Cheers,
        Tim Bray
        Albion