South coast birding

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2009
      Sunday 29 Nov 2009 - Greetings Mendobirders. We birded down the south
      Mendo coast today, more or less repeating the route taken by the Audubon
      trip a couple weeks ago. Not quite as successful as that trip; fewer eyes
      and no experts! We did see several Ferruginous Hawks in the fields south of
      Elk again, but no RLHA, Peregrines or Merlins. Male and female Harriers in
      two places (the Kinney Lane picnic area, and the field north of Miner
      Hole). One very brief glimpse of a possible Osprey at Elk. White-tailed
      Kites in three places: the Garcia River field, the horse-pasture in Albion,
      and my backyard on Middle Ridge :). RTHA everywhere.

      The mouth of the Navarro River was particularly active, with a large mixed
      flock of ducks: mostly Buffleheads, about a dozen Common Goldeneyes, and
      four female Surf Scoters. A lone Red-Breasted Merganser off in the
      distance. Also a lone Phalarope was very actively flying from place to
      place, never settling on the water for long, and never giving me a very good
      view; from the wing pattern I favor Red-Necked, but couldn't be certain.
      Five Brown Pelicans flew into the river, settled briefly, then flew back out
      to sea.

      We ended up at Point Arena where we finally, definitively saw Al, in the
      place everybody always says he hangs out (NW of the pier). To celebrate we
      had coffee and dessert at the Chowder House, where we were entertained by a
      California Gull stealing the bun off a tourist's hamburger, swallowing it,
      flying over to a nearby roof, horking it back up and then chasing it down
      the roof.

      No particularly unusual birds, but it was a gorgeous day with lots of bird
      activity. Plenty of good looks at some beautiful birds - one of the FEHA
      soared slowly past us at close range, thrilling our guest from the Bay area.
      Tomorrow we are going to try for the Burrowing Owl, Redheads, and maybe
      the LTDU. Anybody know if we can find Harlequin Ducks at Dolphin Isle?

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      Middle Ridge, Albion