The Burrowing Owl - New Directions

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2009
      Sat, 28 Nov 2009 -- The BURROWING OWL is still at Virgin Creek,
      MacKerricher SP, Fort Bragg.  This morning, the wind was gusting at
      least 35 mph or more.  I saw Dan Airola from Sacramento.  He had
      missed the owl yesterday afternoon, so we walked down to the Haul
      Road and the small bridge over Virgin Creek to try again.  Dan thought
      it is more wind today than Friday.

      The BUOW was standing in exactly the same spot where Jim and I saw
      it on Wednesday.  One can see the entire bird by standing just south of
      the bridge.  Look across to the east where there are quite a few large
      logs on the north shore, below the large, new brown house.  Look for
      three large roots sticking up in the center of the logs.  The owl stands
      about 5 or 6 ft to the right toward the creek.  (If you stand on the north
      side, you can only see the head).

      For clarification, there is only one Burrowing Owl at this location.  I'm
      sure that Toby, Jim, Dan and I all saw the same bird.

      Park in the large parking area on Hwy 1, Fort Bragg, a little south of
      Kemgas and Matson Building Materials.  Walk out the obvious path
      to the Haul Rd and go north to the small bridge.  To repeat, the best
      view is seen from above the south side of the bridge, and morning
      is probably the best time.

      Karen Havlena
      Fort Bragg, CA