"AL" historical arrival/departure dates

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2009
      18 November 2009 - I have been asked for an update on "AL's" (Laysan
      Albatross) known arrival and departure dates so here they are:

      ????? to 28 February 1994 when first discovered by
      T.Easterla and J.Booker

      30 Nov 1994 to 27 Mar 1995 report of two birds in
      synchronized flight

      5 Dec 1995 to 14 Mar 1996

      3 Dec 1996 to 26 Mar 1997

      27 Nov 1997 to 8 Mar 1998

      12 Dec 1998 to 21 Mar 1999

      4 Dec 1999 to 12 Feb 2000 with a fly-by-the-cove (same bird?)
      on 2 Apr 2000 (G.Chaniot)

      26 Nov 2000 to 26 Feb 2001

      28 Nov 2001 to 24 Mar 2002

      21 Nov 2002 to 12 Mar 2003

      25 Nov 2003 to 28 Feb 2004

      28 Nov 2004 to 21 Feb 2005

      26-30 Nov 2005 to 19 Mar 2006

      25 Nov 2006 to 16 Mar 2007

      7 Dec 2007 to 5 Mar 2008

      22 Nov 2008 to 23 Mar 2009 5:26 PM

      18 Nov 2009 to time-will-tell

      Since Laysan Albatross are so long-lived (50+ years) it is absolutely
      unknown as to how many years prior to 1994 that this bird may have been
      using Point Arena Cove un-noticed.

      Again, this is probably the only place on the west coast (WA/OR/CA) where
      one can reliably see this species with the observer standing on solid ground
      (not on a boat).

      Good Birding. Bob Keiffer