Surf Scoters

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2009
      The two SURF SCOTERS were close to shore between the main pier and the TNT Restaurant around 10:30 this morning. They were still present when I went back around 1:00 pm or so. Jerry White

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 15, 2009
        Forgot to mention the Scoters are in Lakeport at Library Park, found yesterday by Chuck and Barbara Vaughn. Jerry White

      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2009
          Mon, 16 Nov 2009 -- This morning at 07:55 the two SURF SCOTERS were still
          present off Library Park in Lakeport. One was only about 20 feet from shore
          off the boat ramp by the TNT Restaurant, and the other was about 60 feet
          out. They were underwater most of the time, and as I was watching them,
          they worked their way south around Willow Point and out of view. I missed
          them yesterday at about the same time.
          Next I went on the Lakeside County Park to look for a Red-breasted
          Sapsucker which would be my 200th Lake County year bird, but instead I found
          a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER in the small eucalypt by the backstop of Ball
          Field A. It is probably not a stretch to imagine that this is the same bird
          that spent last winter in the same tree.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA

          > From: "Jerry White" <white-jerry@...>
          > Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:18:07 -0800
          > To: <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [Mendobirds] Surf Scoters
          >
          > The two SURF SCOTERS were close to shore between the main pier and the TNT
          > Restaurant around 10:30 this morning. They were still present when I went
          > back around 1:00 pm or so. Jerry White

        • Lisa Walker (Feather)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 20, 2012
            Hi, all,

            couple of questions:

            I've been seeing quite a few adult Surf Scoters offshore near the beaches lately. Today, one came in that is weak, emaciated and waterlogged. He (an adult male in breeding plumage) is resting in a secure location, but I am concerned about him due to how thin he is (the keel is very sharp) and how waterlogged his feathers were... seemed weird for a duck.

            Shouldn't they be inland and well north of here, breeding in the tundra, or is that over and we are seeing their southward movement already?

            I am aware that they eat CA Blue Mussels, sand crabs, herring eggs and the like as their diet; but these are hard to procure for me.... as a former wildlife rehabilitator, it was odd to me that the telephone numbers for area rehabbers weren't readily available to the woman who called me; she found me in an online database that is nine years late in updating their files. This is a case that I normally wouldn't have gone out to help, but because it was the first day of summer and there are people (and dogs) all over the beaches, I was concerned that the bird might get mis-handled or killed by a dog. If in the morning it is doing better, I will take it to another area and release it; the feathers and wings seem alright. The bird is just extremely underweight. If it dies, is there anyone who would want the body? His feathers are beautiful... am hoping he doesn't die, but if he does, perhaps someone on this list knows someone at  CR who would be able to
            legally have it taxidermed for educational purposes?

            Meantime I will keep you posted on how he fares the night,

            Lisa (AKA Feather)

          • Lisa Walker (Feather)
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 21, 2012
              Well, the bird survived the night, has even eaten some of the food I gave him (shrimp and mackerel and herring, oddly enough) and is getting stronger. I am thinking I will give him the rest of the afternoon to get his bearings and take him back out; the breeding plumage I mentioned yesterday isn't complete; the back of his head is just starting to turn white - so maybe he is heading north to his breeding grounds. I hope this gives him the extra chance to get there......

              ...any other advice would be great. Not sure why no one responded today or last night, or did I miss it?

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 21, 2012
                Lisa-

                Perhaps no one answered on [Mendobirds] as your discussion is beyond the purpose, as I understand it, of this Group.

                Hoping NOT to bring down the wrath of the ListServ owner, I’d suggest you contact International Bird Rescue, the rehab group for aquatic birds in Northern California. Their website is located at http://www.bird-rescue.org/

                and this page

                http://www.bird-rescue.org/contact/found-a-bird.aspx

                contains phone numbers for people to call who have found an aquatic bird.

                This page also provides the link to report Blue-Banded Brown Pelicans, too.

                Good Luck and HTH-Rich

                Richard Kuehn

                WindandSea at The Sea Ranch, CA

                Life is NOT a dress-rehearsal!

                .

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=2796590/grpspId=1705065787/msgId=5114/stime=1340305718/nc1=4507179/nc2=5028928/nc3=4767086>

              • Lisa Walker (Feather)
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 21, 2012
                  As a former wildlife rehabber, I know how to handle this... but thanks for the info :) (already had it, gave it to the woman and no one was avail. to come get the bird)