Mendocino Coast CBC Date

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2009
      Thursday, 11/5/2009.
      The Mendocino Coast Audubon Society invites interested persons with all levels of birding skill to join in our thirty-sixth annual Christmas Bird Count on Saturday, January 2. Small groups will survey assigned areas throughout the day. Those who are able to stay will then meet for a catered dinner (BYOB) at Druid's Hall in beautiful downtown Point Arena to report their findings.

      The count area, which is centered near Manchester, stretches from Cuffey's Cove near Elk to the northern edge of Point Arena and contains some of the best birding habitat along our coast. The first Christmas Count in this area was held on December 15, 1974. Nine observers reported a total of 60 different species. The number of participants as well as reported species has continued to grow since then. Last year forty-two observers reported a total of 140 species.

      If you are interested in participating in this year's count, please contact David Jensen at djensen@... or leave him a phone message at 964-8163. Even if you are not an expert in the identification of gulls or sparrows, you can still be a productive member of this effort and will certainly have an enjoyable day in a beautiful part of our coast.