Rose-breasted Grosbeak

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2002
      Got a call this morning (Mon June 24) about 0900 from some friends
      saying they had a Rose-breasted Grosbeak coming to the feeders at their
      house. I immediately jumped in the car and, after arriving at their
      house, only had to wait about 10 minutes for an adult male ROSE-BREASTED
      GROSBEAK to come to one of their feeders. During the 45 minutes I was
      there the bird returned twice more.

      To reach this location, go south on South State St and turn right
      (west) on Stipp Lane (the last road before Hwy 253). If you're driving
      south on Hwy 101, Stipp Ln is directly across State St from the Hwy 253
      exit. Follow Stipp Ln west a short distance and turn right on the road
      that forms the western boundary of the Ukiah Junior Academy parking lot.
      As soon as you take this right turn the house in question will be up a
      slight rise right in front of you. The house is white with brown trim
      and the number on the side is 200. The people who live there are Bob
      and Earline Chinnok. The Chinnok's say it's okay to park in their
      driveway and wait for the bird or knock on their door and come in (best
      viewing is from their kitchen window). Their driveway is very short and
      has a green swing at the end of it. Just beyond the green swing are a
      hummingbird feeder and a tubular seed feeder. The grosbeak is coming to
      the tubular feeder.

      The Chinnock's first saw the bird this past Saturday. Unfortunately
      they're moving out of town next week so the feeders will only be up
      through this week. While I was there an adult male, an immature male,
      and an adult female HOODED ORIOLE visited the hummingbird feeder
      repeatedly.

      Good Birding
      Matthew Matthiessen
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2003
        Thursday, 03 July, 2003 This is from the Northern Calif. bird Box
        posting:

        On July 3, an adult male ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was seen in a little
        drainage just west of Verde Drive in north Mendocino. Although this is a
        public road, it may be hard to see the bird. You may try Mar Vista Road
        too. (Ed Pandolfino)

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        4070 University Road
        Hopland, CA 95449
        (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

        Theodore Roosevelt
      • Becky Stenberg
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2010
          Wow! I just saw my first Rose-breasted Grosbeak, breeding plumage
          male. He's eating at the nyjer seed feeder right out my window. My
          Thayer birding program doesn't show them in our area, though I know
          some of you see them. How common are they?

          ~~~ Becky Stenberg
          in Glen Blair
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
            Good Afternoon:

            For the last hour I have been watching what I am certain is a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak at my feeders. The plumage looks very fresh. The beak is very light. The bottom is pink and the top is more of a grayish. The breast is heavily streaked and the throat is very white. Overall this bird has almost no yellow or orange (less than Sibley or National Geographic pictures). The only yellow I've seen is underneath the wings when it flies.

            I put out sunflower seed immediately and got the camera out. I will try to get some photos. Hopefully it will stick around.

            Anyone is welcome to try and come see it. You just cannot make a lot of noise and wake the baby.

            Dave Bengston
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
              Good Morning:

              The Rose-breasted Grosbeak returned to the feeders at 10:32 this am. It is currently feeding at a platform feeder. Yesterday it did not feed late.

              While we were waiting to see it yesterday (Chuck Vaughn & I) we also had a Red-breasted Nuthatch show up, which came back to feed 3Xs. Other current birds include a White-throated Sparrow (everyday) and a Slate-colored Junco (about every 2-3 days).

              At this point, after only one day, I would say do not come very early or very late if you want to see it.

              Dave Bengston
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2011
                The Grosbeak showed up at my feeders at 8 am. I have a sharpie that is visiting almost every day, so I cannot be sure when the Grosbeak will be here. Yesterday it was here from 10:30 up until the sharpie came about 1 pm.
              • Arthur Morley
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2013
                  There was a male RBGR at the end of Madsen Lane east of Fort Bragg at 4:30 on Saturday,  Sept. 28.

                  Madsen Lane is about 3 miles east of Hwy 1 out Oak St./Sherwood Rd.  Turn south on Madsen for  1/4  mile to two locked gates.  The bird was just inside the gate to the logging road on the left that goes down to the Noyo River.

                  I have not looked again, but I will on Tuesday.  The bird may stay as there are seed feeders and water nearby.

                  When parking, don't block the roads or gates.

                  Art Morley