Black-crowned Night-Herons-Possible nesting record??

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2009
      Mon Oct 26, 2009--I observed 2 juvenile BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS on the Noyo River at around 2:30 PM today. The location was the Dolphin RV Park and Marina which is as far as you can drive up the Noyo off the Highway 20 entrance. David Jensen told me about the BCNH roost at this location last month. BCNHs are listed as rare in Mendocino County with no nesting records. David thinks that he may have seen juveniles at that location this last summer. He is going to talk to the owner of the kayak company located at the marina to see if she has pictures and dates of juvenile BCNHs from earlier in the year.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • Cate
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2009
        There appear to be 2 colonies of black-crowned night herons on the lower
        portion of the Noyo River. I have been watching them for 3 years now
        from a kayak and from shore. The one colony is in the "magic corner" of
        the Noyo River by the former launch ramp of Dolphin Isle Marina. The
        other is across the river from the main mooring basin.

        Lately some of the BCNH's have been active in the mid to late afternoon,
        but typically they become active around dusk. Morning birders may catch
        glimses of the BCNH's before they tuck into the fir trees for the day.
        During the day, we consistently see them in their roosts from kayaks in
        the river.

        I suspect that they are nesting on the Noyo and have a couple of ideas
        where their nests are but have not seen an actual nest. Here is a link
        <http://www.examiner.com/ExaminerSlideshow.html?entryid=502747&slide=2>
        to a photo that a visitor took of a juvenile during one of our sunset
        bird paddles this summer.

        Best of days,

        Cate

        Liquid Fusion Kayaking <http://www.liquidfusionkayak.com/>