Moon Birds

  • jarlyus
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2009
      Last night's full Harvest (or Hunter's, if you prefer) moon drew me out into the fall chill for an activity I haven't done for several years.
      This autumn full moon coincides with the beginnings of southward bird migration and a surprising number of them can be seen in transit across it.
      The low, early moon is great in Potter Valley because the pass to the south east into Lake County is a popular route.
      Bundle up and get comfortable with binoculars (some kind of support helps) or a spotting scope, experimenting with zoom and focus settings.
      I saw nine silhouettes in about ten minutes and plan another try tonight.