Lake County Lesser Nighthawk

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2002
      Last night (Fri June 21) Linda Angerer and I observed a female LESSER
      NIGHTHAWK at the Timberline campsite on Boardman Ridge in Lake County.
      We saw the bird around 2045 and the observation lasted for 3-5 minutes.
      The bird was rather small and extremely buffy (including the pale wing
      patch) and flew no higher than the treetops during the entire
      observation. The bird made several passes overhead within 30 ft of us.
      Eventually the bird flew off at treetop level along the ridgeline to the
      northwest heading for Mendocino County. We never heard the bird
      vocalize.

      Timberline campsite is at 4,900 ft and is the last campsite before
      leaving treeline on Boardman Ridge. The campsite is reached by taking a
      dirt track about 50 meters west off of M-1. If you walk through the
      campsite the track ends shortly at a bare lookout point overlooking Lake
      Pillsbury. This overlook and the hillside below it is covered in
      Manzanita with no trees over head high. During our observation the bird
      only flew around this lookout point.

      Good Birding
      Matthew Matthiessen