Oriole Update from Laguna Point

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
      Fri, 2 Oct 2009 -- A 45-minute search of the south bluff of Laguna Point
      this morning didn't turn up any orioles.  It was fairly windy and quite a
      few Yellow-rumped Warblers were in the blackberry brambles, where
      I didn't notice them yesterday afternoon.

      If you try your luck with the ORCHARD ORIOLE, the entire length of
      clumps of wax myrtles and blackberries is a little longer than a football
      field, if drawing a straight line.  The large clump where John Sterling
      refound the OROR at about 2:00-pm yesterday was the second closest
      bramble to the actual point.  Then, a couple of hours later, she had
      moved SE to the brambles by a smallish pine growing down at the
      base of the bluff.
      Tip: Walk out every short spur trail that goes towards the ocean from
      the main dirt trail along the south bluff.  The pine is not very visible
      from the main trail.  Tip #2:  A Black Phoebe hangs out by the clump
      where John and I saw the oriole.

      Good luck and good birding,

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA

    • K A Havlena
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
        Fri, 2 Oct 2009 -- 2:40-pm -- I just saw the imm female ORCHARD ORIOLE
        at the same place as yesterday.  She is an afternoon bird to be sure!  Please
        read the directions below.  Tip #3:  Park on the upper row of spaces at the
        Laguna Point parking lot and walk out a dirt trail at the SE corner of the lot.
        Take the right fork after a short distance.  This will take you directly to the
        south bluff trail and the brambles.

        The wind has died down a little and it has warmed up a bit.  The bird was
        very active, so it may move around again to the SE clumps of blackberries
        and wax myrtle.

        Karen H