10/1 Orchard Oriole Location & Sandhill Crane Comment

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009
      Thur, 1 Oct 2009 -- Luckily, John Sterling was still at MacKerricher SP near
      Laguna Point, so I got to see the ORCHARD ORIOLE with his help.  She is
      an imm female and was feeding on blackberries in the spot where Matthew
      had a Palm Warbler last year.  If you are standing at the actual point platform,
      walk SSE on the dirt path at the top of the bluff.  Look for wax myrtle and
      blackberry bushes hanging off the bluff.  There was a Black Phoebe and some
      sparrows around.  The birds responded well to loud pishing.

      I was sorry that the several people who looked for the imm SANDHILL CRANE
      could not refind it, but it really blended in with the sand dunes.  I first saw it
      and photographed it just west of the Ten Mile R. bridges.  It could be anywhere
      in that area, or Bob Keiffer thinks it could go to Sand Lake, west of Inglenook
      (difficult to get to).  I will try to put a photo on either this listserv or on Peregrine
      Audubon's photo gallery.

      Speaking of Peregrines, I watched a PEFA chase a Black-bellied Plover out
      over the ocean, but I didn't see if the plover became brunch for the falcon.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA