Orchard Oriole

  • John Luther
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
      I just received a phone call from John Sterling in Mendocino Co. Today he
      found an Orchard Oriole in MacKerricher State Park. Walk out the boardwalk
      to Laguna Point. The oriole was in the short pines just south of the point.

      He will birding Mendo all day. He would appreciate a call on his cell phone
      (530 908-3836) if any one finds a good bird (like Hudsonian Godwit, Summer
      Tanager or Moorhen) in Mendo today.

      John Luther
      home in Oakland
    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
        Thu Oct 1, 2009---After about an hour of searching for the ORCHARD ORIOLE, I was about to give up when it popped it head up and I was able to get a good look at it. Pishing did not seem to help for me. If you are going to chase it, take the trail from Laguna Point observation platform and follow it south along the bluff. When you find a pine tree (thank-you Toby) coming up on the ocean side you are in the right area. I followed the trail until it dipped (formed a canyon on both sides) climbed up the embankment just pass the dip, looked north and the bird was in a section with ferns,just west of the berry and myrtle bushes. This section is where the pines close in on the ocean bluff.

        Richard Hubacek
        Little River