Sandhill Crane at Ten Mile

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
      Thu Oct 1, 2009--Karen Havlena just called to report a juv. SANDHILL CRANE at Ten Mile Beach. She said that it was on the west side of the bridge in the dunes south of the willows and road but maybe heading down towards the water.

      Richard Hubacek for Karen
    • Lisa Walker (Feather)
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
        After a combined effort of searching for at least an hour and a half, Rich and I came up empty-winged. There were several tracks in the dunes indicating that Canada Geese were there, Common Raven tracks, a few Killdeer and maybe California Quail tracks, and some tracks that *might* have indicated a Sandhill Crane (I really should have taken shots of them, especially after seeing the photos at the link below):

        http://dirttime.ws/Notebook/Heron.htm
        http://dirttime.ws/Photos/IM000206.jpg

        It compares herons of various species with Sandhill Crane. And I saw tracks that very closely resembled Sandhill Crane in the dunes.

        Ah, well. Another time, perhaps.
        Feather