Clay-colored Sparrow in Potter Valley

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2001
      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 -- At 9:30 this morning I found a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW on
      Pine Avenue in Potter Valley. It was in a flock of White-crowned Sparrows
      that frequents the farm machinery at the Tiara Ranch about 1/3 mile from
      East Road. Prominent crown stripe, light lores, ear patch, and tan rump.
      There was another _Spizella_ present, but I could not get a good enough
      look to ID it.
      Around Potter Valley this morning there was also a Merlin on Pine
      Avenue, no Mountain Bluebirds seen today, and another Merlin and a Lewis's
      Woodpecker at the end of Burris Lane.
      Along Potter Valley Road there was an American Dipper carrying
      nesting material under the old bridge, another dipper carrying nesting
      material at mm 0.75, and yet another dipper singing near mm 0.89. -- George
      Chaniot
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2009
        Thu, 27 Aug 2009 -- This morning on Burris Lane in Potter Valley there was a
        lot of sparrow activity. It felt like a fall morning. There were
        concentrations of about 30 Lark Sparrows, 40 Chipping Sparrows, several
        Savannah Sparrows, and 100 mixed swallows. Near, but not exactly with, the
        Chipping Sparrows was a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW. The best area was along the
        fence lines by the Bald Eagle Vineyard beyond the barn with pigeons. The
        Clay-colored Sparrow was on the ground by the roadside, and on the fence,
        and then it flew off to the north into the vineyard.
        The shank of the morning was from about 7:30 to 8:30 after which the
        birds seemed to move into the vineyard.