Grasshopper Sparrow in Potter Valley

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2002
      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 -- At 08:10 this morning I found a singing GRASSHOPPER
      SPARROW along Pine Avenue in Potter Valley. About 3/4 mi. up Pine Avenue,
      as you are approaching Burright Creek, there is a broad pullout on the
      right and a locked gate set back from the road on the left. The GRSP was
      about 30 y. beyond this gate, and I was able to get a good scope view as it
      sat up on a weedstalk, preened, and sang. After about five minutes it flew
      off about 100 y., plopped in the short grass, and I did not see it again in
      the next half hour, nor when I came back about 9:45.
      This is the same general area where Ollie Kolkmann found GRSP on 12
      Jun 1987 while he was appraising some property in the area. I looked for
      them in 2000 and 2001 without luck. These are the only GRSP records for
      Potter Valley that I am aware of. There are probably more birds around on
      private property, but this bird was viewable from public access.
      Further up Pine Avenue families of Western Tanagers were roving
      around already eating poison oak berries, and there was a House Wren
      singing near 12600. I have also had a House Wren singing in my
      neighborhood off and on since 17 May - yard bird #157.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA