Coastal Birding

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2009
      Tue Sep 15, 2009--"Toby", Carolyn Kinet, and I did some north coast birding today. The morning was too nice so our expectations for eastern vagrants were not high. Our expectations were met. We did see some good birds. At Chadbourne Gulch we had a Pectoral Sandpiper, at least 3 MacGillivray's Warblers, and 2 Cassin's Vireos. There were many of the normal migrants also. The eastern trail has been cleaned-up somewhat. It looks like the trashy area at the entrance has been bull-dozed.

      We had a Lark Sparrow at the Westport STP and 2 Marbled Murrelets at the Vista Point north of Westport-Union Landing State Beach.

      We stopped at Lake Cleone but could not find the Common Moorhen or the Summer Tanager, but we didn't spent much time looking.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • gchaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16, 2014
        Fri, 15 Apr 2014 -- Today Steve Stump and I birded the coast from Little
        River to 10-mile River. For most of the morning it was foggy and cold,
        and we struggled to find any birds at all. After noon we began to find
        some : At Ward Avenue in Cleone we found two, fresh, juvenile BAIRD'S
        SANDPIPERS on the beach about 200 yards to the north. Further north we
        found a group of 21 SNOWY PLOVERS. Near the bridge over Virgin Creek we
        saw a LARK SPARROW. At the 10-Mile River bridge there were still about 6
        PURPLE MARTINS present, and a very obliging ELEGANT TERN made a single
        tour of the lagoon, making two passes over the bridge.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA