Black-chinned Sparrow

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2002
      Yesterday (Sat June 15) I drove up Boardman Ridge to see if
      BLACK-CHINNED SPARROWS are back this year (I had no idea John Hunter was
      making an effort the same day). I stopped at the first pull-out south
      of the Hull Peak turnoff (apparently the spot John camped the night
      before) and heard one BCSP calling below me.

      Knowing there is controversy as to which county this location is in I
      drove further north to see if I could locate any more BCSP. After
      passing the turnoff to Hull Peak I descended a short distance to the
      small gap north of the turnoff and parked the car in the pullout there.
      Within a few minutes I heard another BCSP calling below me on the
      south-facing slope. As John said, this is well within the Mendo county
      line. Other high elevation specialties here were several DUSKY
      FLYCATCHERS and one WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER.

      After the BCSP I drove on to Spruce Grove. Along the way I encountered
      a couple NASHVILLE WARBLERS. At Spruce Grove were HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER,
      CASSIN'S FINCH, and HERMIT WARLBER.

      - Matthew Matthiessen