Species List From September 7th Field Trip to Fort Bragg

  • Richard Kuehn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2009
      Nine local Mendonoma members were joined by Ann Luft, who is from Michigan
      and dog-sitting at the Hichwas’, for the drive to Lake Cleone just north of
      Fort Bragg where we met Dorothy (Toby) Tobkin and began birding ~10:15 a.m.
      After lunch, we shifted to Virgin Creek via the wooded walk-thru from
      Highway 1. While most birders left for the Gualala/Sea Ranch area ~2:45
      p.m. , Dean Schuler, Ann Luft and I drove up to 10 Mile Beach where we
      continued birding till ~3:45 before stopping at Cowlick’s Ice Cream Café on
      our way home.

      71 species were either seen or heard by members of the field trip group:

      (please advise me if you have corrections/additions to share)

      Pied-billed Grebe

      Brown Pelican

      Double-crested Cormorant

      Brandt’s Cormorant

      Pelagic Cormorant

      Great Blue Heron

      Great Egret

      Canada Goose

      Mallard

      Common Merganser

      Turkey Vulture

      Osprey

      White-tailed Kite

      Red-tailed Hawk

      American Kestrel

      California Quail

      Virginia Rail

      American Coot

      Black-bellied Plover

      Semipalmated Plover

      Killdeer

      Black Oystercatcher

      Whimbrel

      Marbled Godwit

      Black Turnstone

      Western Sandpiper

      Heermann’s Gull

      California Gull

      Western Gull

      Glaucous-winged Gull

      Caspian Tern

      Common Murre

      Pigeon Guillemot

      Band-tailed Pigeon

      Mourning Dove

      Eurasian-collared Dove

      Anna’s Hummingbird

      Allen’s Hummingbird

      Belted Kingfisher

      Acorn Woodpecker

      Downy Woodpecker

      Northern Flicker

      Olive-sided Flycatcher

      Western Wood-Pewee

      Willow Flycatcher

      Black Phoebe

      Hutton’s Vireo

      Steller’s Jay

      Western Scrub-Jay

      Common Raven

      Cliff Swallow

      Barn Swallow

      Chestnut-backed Chickadee

      Pygmy Nuthatch

      Marsh Wren

      American Robin

      Wrentit

      European Starling

      Wilson’s Warbler

      Summer Tanager – adult, male

      Western Tanager – adult, female

      Spotted Towhee

      Song Sparrow

      White-crowned Sparrow

      Rose-breasted Grosbeak, probable juvenile

      Red-winged Blackbird

      Brewer’s Blackbird

      Purple Finch

      House Finch

      Pine Siskin

      American Goldfinch

      We each appreciated Toby sharing her birding locales and expertise with all
      of us.

      Good Birding,

      Rich Kuehn

      Richard Kuehn