09/08 Cow Mountain Black Swift

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2009
      Greetings Mendobirders- I saw a BLACK SWIFT this morning on the Valley
      View Trail on north Cow Mountain. The bird was foraging over the chaparral
      at the ridge crest separating the watersheds of the south and north forks
      of Mill Creek. After watching Vaux's Swifts around Ukiah all summer, this
      bird seemed so relatively large and its flight so languid that at first
      glance I thought it was a distant Merlin! My main interest was in the
      chaparral birds so I didn't proceed all the way up the north Mill Creek
      canyon, and there was not a lot of activity anywhere. Here is the full
      species list:

      Location: Cow Mountain BLM- Valley View Trail
      Observation date: 9/9/09
      Number of species: 24

      Mountain Quail 1
      California Quail 12