Red and Red-necked Phalaropes at Glass Beach

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2009
      Tues Sep 8, 2009--There were 120 Red-necked Phalaropes and 4 Red Phalaropes at Glass Beach yesterday swimming just a few feet off-shore. They were there around 12:30 PM. When I approached the beach you could heard them calling. I found one "Red" is the flock and Toby who arrived after me found two more. One of the "Reds" was seen out of the water walking the beach with other shorebirds. The birds seemed to be attracted to the flies on the kelp. We found another "Red" south of the beach with another "small" flock of Red-necked. Sorry for the late posting.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River