Lake County shorebirds and grebes

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2009
      Despite excellent shorebird habitat at Borax Lake, Kelsey Creek and along the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff, few shorebirds were present this past weekend. I saw two BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS at Borax Lake on 5 September, when a PEREGRINE FALCON managed to catch one of the few shorebirds there, and yesterday (7 September) I saw a PECTORAL SANDPIPER in a flooded field along the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff.

      Yesterday at the mouth of Rodman's Slough I was stunned to count 230 distant but obvious nests of WESTERN and CLARK'S GREBES, visible in open water several hundred yards from the shore. Most of the nests had an adult on it and some adults seemed to be adding material to the nests. Among an estimated 500 adults present I was only able to pick out one swimming chick among them, so most of the nests must have eggs or small chicks. I'm surprised they're nesting so late in the year--it's September! Has anybody seen them nesting so late in the year?

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA