Lake Cleone

  • d_l_woodward
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2009
      Yesterday afternoon 9/4 at Lake Cleone, both Summer Tanagers were present at the same location described by previous observers, the small clearing on the north side of the lake where the trail changes from boardwalk to asphalt. The tanagers came in together at 1:20pm. Both of them were still feeding when we left about 20 minutes later.

      Dave Woodward
    • fred.andrews47
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 14, 2009
        Walked around Lake Cleone 12/14/09.

        I saw a strange looking bird on the south side of the lake, on the water in the a sheltered cove. To me it resembled a common moorhen. But that makes no sense.

        Saw a river otter in water on north side of lake, near boardwalk.

        Marsh wren
        American coots
        Common Ravens
        Double-crested cormorants
        1 femle northern shoveler on west side of lake
        Pied-billed grebes
        Mallards
        Steller's Jays
        Turkey Vultures
        Yellow-rumped warblers myrtle population
        1 Eurasian collared-dove
        American robins
        Chestnut-backed chickadees
        1 female varied thrush from the dirt path on south side of lake
        6 male and 6 female Ring-necked ducks on the west side of the lake

        Fred
      • fred.andrews47
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
          On the trail around Lake Cleone, August 28, 2010, 1;35 P.M. tO 3:30, Cloudy skies, slight breeze.

          Mallards, Brewer's blackbirds, 1 osprey, 1 Great blue heron, 1 Pied-billed grebe, Barn and Violet-green swallows, 3 Turkey vultures, 3 Common ravens, 1 marsh wren (heard), Western gulls, 1 Heerman's gull among the Western gulls on the lake (1st winter, brown, pale bill), 1 song sparrow, 1 male downy woodpecker, 40+ Cedar waxwings perched at top of dead pines near pumphouse, Chestnut-backed chickadees, 1 Western scrub jay, 1 male Wilson's warbler, 1 mourning dove, possibly 4 Band-tailed pigeons, Steller's Jays, 2 Vaux's swifts, 1 male Anna's hummingbird (heard others), and 1 Double-crested cormorant flying overhead.

          Fred