Hull Mtn., Mendocino

  • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2002
      Birders,

      On the afternoon on 6-14-02 I headed up to Hull Mountain, to look for
      Black-chinned Sparrow. Through Covello and way out the dusty and bumpy
      Forest Service route M1 along Etsel Ridge. I stopped to camp at the first
      dirt track/overlook going off to the right after the turnoff to Hull
      Mountain. Black-chinned Sparrows had been reported from here but this
      location appeared to be 0.15 miles inside of Lake County, although you could
      possibly hear one over in Mendo from here. After changing the flat tire, I
      could hear about 6 Common Poorwills calling on both sides of the
      Mendocino-Lake county line.

      On 6-15-02 I did not hear Black-chinned Sparrow from the campsite so I birded
      along the road back into Mendocino. I walked out the trail to Windy Point
      (trail 10W32 on the Forest Service map) about 0.5 miles and found a good spot
      to listen to the south. After much listening, I finally heard a
      Black-chinned Sparrow singing far below, but easily within Mendocino County.
      I can provide better details about the location if anyone is interested.
      There was also a White-headed Woodpecker near the trailhead.

      In the patch of corn lily at the turnoff from M1 to Spruce Grove there was
      one, possibly two, singing Lincoln's Sparrows. I'm not sure if they get any
      further than this in the coast ranges. Green-tailed towhees were nesting in
      the corn lily.

      Not really sorry for multiple postings.

      John Hunter
      Arcata, CA