RE: [Mendobirds] Continuing Hudsonian Godwits

  • Richard Kuehn
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
      Due to the helpfulness of other MendoBirders ever since Karen Havlena’s
      original post about Dorothy (Toby) Tobkin’s discovery of 4 Hudsonian Godwits
      at Glass Beach August 26th, yesterday’s College of the Redwood’s _Birds of
      the North Coast_ course presented me with a unique opportunity: I helped
      find a Life Bird for everyone in the class, including Prof. Greg Grantham
      and myself. Greg had been informed by someone yesterday that a HUGO had
      been seen on 10 Mile Beach, north of the Ward Ave parking, earlier in the
      day; so this is where he took us for our field outing in the afternoon. We
      had walked to the end of the haul road and down onto the beach where we were
      looking at many of the usual suspects: Black-bellied Plovers, Black
      Turnstones and Black Oystercatchers when a medium sized shorebird with a
      long bill, flashing black underwing coverts edged with white, flew past and
      landed on some nearby mussel beds.

      Having studied the field marks, I immediately scoped the bird and confirmed
      its ID before sharing my scope with others. Luckily the bird probed and fed
      for a long time, allowing everyone to get crippling views! The bird we
      observed was a juvenile with a very distinct white supercillium, beautifully
      patterned wings, plain belly and black tail.

      To all the MendoBirders who’ve kept readers of this ListServ informed about
      this particular species, I’d like to shout out a THANK YOU on behalf of the
      students in the Biology 16 class. I’m hoping many of them will soon join
      our ranks.

      Be well and GREAT Birding,

      Rich

      Richard Kuehn