Re: [Mendobirds] Continuing Hudsonian Godwit

  • Lisa Walker (Feather)
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
      My son is taking Greg Grantham's class at CR and they went to Ward Avenue where they spotted at least two more.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
        Due to the helpfulness of other MendoBirders ever since Karen Havlena’s
        original post about Dorothy (Toby) Tobkin’s discovery of 4 Hudsonian Godwits
        at Glass Beach August 26th, yesterday’s College of the Redwood’s _Birds of
        the North Coast_ course presented me with a unique opportunity: I helped
        find a Life Bird for everyone in the class, including Prof. Greg Grantham
        and myself. Greg had been informed by someone yesterday that a HUGO had
        been seen on 10 Mile Beach, north of the Ward Ave parking, earlier in the
        day; so this is where he took us for our field outing in the afternoon. We
        had walked to the end of the haul road and down onto the beach where we were
        looking at many of the usual suspects: Black-bellied Plovers, Black
        Turnstones and Black Oystercatchers when a medium sized shorebird with a
        long bill, flashing black underwing coverts edged with white, flew past and
        landed on some nearby mussel beds.

        Having studied the field marks, I immediately scoped the bird and confirmed
        its ID before sharing my scope with others. Luckily the bird probed and fed
        for a long time, allowing everyone to get crippling views! The bird we
        observed was a juvenile with a very distinct white supercillium, beautifully
        patterned wings, plain belly and black tail.

        To all the MendoBirders who’ve kept readers of this ListServ informed about
        this particular species, I’d like to shout out a THANK YOU on behalf of the
        students in the Biology 16 class. I’m hoping many of them will soon join
        our ranks.

        Be well and GREAT Birding,

        Rich

        Richard Kuehn