Continuing Hudsonian Godwit

  • George Chaniot
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
      Wed, 02 Sep 2009 -- Dorothy Tobkin reports seeing one HUDSONIAN GODWIT this
      morning at Virgin Creek Beach. Yesterday there was a report of a
      BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER at Glass Beach.

      George Chaniot for Toby
    • Lisa Walker (Feather)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
        My son is taking Greg Grantham's class at CR and they went to Ward Avenue where they spotted at least two more.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
          Due to the helpfulness of other MendoBirders ever since Karen Havlena’s
          original post about Dorothy (Toby) Tobkin’s discovery of 4 Hudsonian Godwits
          at Glass Beach August 26th, yesterday’s College of the Redwood’s _Birds of
          the North Coast_ course presented me with a unique opportunity: I helped
          find a Life Bird for everyone in the class, including Prof. Greg Grantham
          and myself. Greg had been informed by someone yesterday that a HUGO had
          been seen on 10 Mile Beach, north of the Ward Ave parking, earlier in the
          day; so this is where he took us for our field outing in the afternoon. We
          had walked to the end of the haul road and down onto the beach where we were
          looking at many of the usual suspects: Black-bellied Plovers, Black
          Turnstones and Black Oystercatchers when a medium sized shorebird with a
          long bill, flashing black underwing coverts edged with white, flew past and
          landed on some nearby mussel beds.

          Having studied the field marks, I immediately scoped the bird and confirmed
          its ID before sharing my scope with others. Luckily the bird probed and fed
          for a long time, allowing everyone to get crippling views! The bird we
          observed was a juvenile with a very distinct white supercillium, beautifully
          patterned wings, plain belly and black tail.

          To all the MendoBirders who’ve kept readers of this ListServ informed about
          this particular species, I’d like to shout out a THANK YOU on behalf of the
          students in the Biology 16 class. I’m hoping many of them will soon join
          our ranks.

          Be well and GREAT Birding,

          Rich

          Richard Kuehn