Birding Bald Hill Rd and Dioxin- contaminated soil removal

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2 9:11 AM
      Wed Sep 2, 2009--I received a notice from the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) that concerned Bald Hill Rd. which is off Pudding Creek Rd. in Fort Bragg. Bald Hill Rd. is noted for Ferruginous Hawks, it's geese flocks, possible Tricolored Blackbirds, and sometimes Burrowing Owl.

      DTSC will be removing Dioxin-contaminated soil (approx. 3 acres) from the area. "Site preparation work will begin August 31, 2009 and excavation will begin September 1, 2009. The cleanup is expected to be completed in late October, 2009." The plan calls for a maximum number of 20 truck runs per day during excavation and 40 to 50 trucks per day during the clean soil fill period later in the project.

      Bald Hill Rd is very narrow with few parking places. Take care if planning to bird there.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River