Hudsonian Godwit at 10-mile beach

  • paulnhawks
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2009
      Sunday, August 30. While birding at Lake Cleone in the early afternoon, a young couple from the Bay Area told me they had seen a Hudsonian Godwit at 10-mile beach north of Ward Ave. It was with a Marbled Godwit. In the late afternoon, I found the pair north of the roped-off Snowy Plover nesting area. I was great to see the two species side by side, and they allowed me to get within 35 or 40 feet. Both Godwits were actively probing the sand about 10-15 feet from the high-water line. I watched them for about half an hour. They stayed in the same area, slowly working their way northward.

      No sign of the Summer Tanager at Lake Cleone. State park personnel were cutting trees nearby and the noise of the power equipment probably kept a number of birds away.

      Paul Hawks